Monday, September 27, 2010

Out West ~ Week 2 Day 14, Going Home

What a wonderful two weeks this has been. But, the days flew by. To see all that we saw required long hours of driving and meant we didn’t look at any place for long. We saw the West like some people read a book, by skimming it. Do we have any regrets, only that our resources would not allow us to have extended our trip to three weeks or more? As of today we view our trip as a once in a lifetime opportunity. Surely, it may be possible for us to do something similar at a later date, but then it may not, so we’re glad we can say, “been there, done that.”

Of the thirteen nights we dined out, six of these were spent with friends or family. And, in my case, four of these nights were spent with friends I had not met previously. One and his wife were Facebook friends, another and her husband was someone Barbara had met a few years ago, one I had corresponded with for a number of years, and we dined with a father and daughter in a pizza restaurant. In every instance, there was in instant connection, where it was as though I had known that person or persons all of my life. And, it was surprises like the people we engaged that rewarded us as much or more so than the natural wonders of the West.

Having spent the night with the Hunters in Cape Girardeau on Saturday night, the four of us enjoyed breakfasting at a local Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Joyce and Wayne Hunter were wonderful hosts. and it was hard to say goodbye to them after breakfast. But, Barbara and I expect to see them next April when we return to Cape to attend another Story Telling Festival.

The drive back to Pontotoc from Cape Girardeau, MO, is about five hours. It’s also along roads I’ve traveled numerous times, so the familiarity of my surroundings helped me relax more so than the thirteen prior days. Why, I was almost singing as we crossed the Mississippi River on the old bridge at Memphis, and at the sight of the Mississippi State Line near Olive Branch, my heart leaped for joy. Well, maybe not, but when I drove into Dogwood Circle and saw our home, it did. Though the lawn had two week’s growth, I was not worried about cutting it. I knew I’d have plenty of time to do that sort of thing.

To quote Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz, “There’s no place like home, there’s no place like home…”

A few pictures and comments are at: http://rrnews.org/Week2Day14

No comments: