Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Patriotic Remembrance


Shortly after what we now know as 9/11, SUPERVALU distributed to its employees and retailers some patriotic memorabilia. I chose a magnetic flag and placed it on the left rear fender of my company car, where the red, white and blue looked good against the auto’s black background. As I recall, I vowed to keep the flag on my car until Osama bin Laden was captured or killed.

The flag decal would be there still, if it had held up as well as Bin Laden has held out in mountains of Pakistan and Afghanistan or wherever it is he’s hidden. But, the ravages of time and exposure to sunlight faded Old Glory, so I transferred it to my blue pickup, back when Jason was driving it.

Over time it became too shopworn to proudly display on the side of the truck, so Jason placed it on an inside wall of the bed of the pickup.

Recently, I noticed it was almost unrecognizable and removed it from the truck. I took a picture of it before tossing the faded flag decal into the garbage can.
Eleven years have passed since I obtained the decal and ObL is still on the lam. Now that my decal is shot, perhaps Osama bin Laden will soon meet a similar fate.

No comments: